Parts Used: Leaves, roots or flowering tops
Active constituents: Mugwort contains a volatile oil, a sesquiterpene lactone, flavonoids, coumarin derivatives and triterpenes, tannins and bitter principles.
- Bitter tonic
- Bitter stomachic (tones the stomach and encourages appetite)
- Nervine Tonic
- Emmenagogue (stimulates the menstrual flow when it is absent for reasons other than pregnancy)
- Cholagogue (promotes the flow of gastric bile from the gall bladder)
- Athelmintic (encourages the expulsion of worms)
Major Safety Issues:
- Should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Toxic in overdose. and excessive dose can cause epileptic spasms.
- Can also increase menstrual bleeding to a dangerous level.
- Can act on the uterus to cause abortion.