Parts Used: Rhizome
Cardiac glycosides including aslepiadin and asclepioside. Also tannins, flavonoids and traces of nicotine, essential oil.
- Expectorant (encourages the expulsion of phlegm from the chest)
- Diaphoretic (encourages sweating to reduce fevers)
- Cardiotonic (tonic for the heart)
Major Safety Issues:
- Should not be used during pregnancy
- Excessive doses may cause vomiting, diarrhoea, depression of the central nervous system, ataxia, anorexia, seizures and kidney and liver damage.
- Symptoms of poisoning can occur several hours after ingestion.
- Due to the presence of cardioactive glycosides, overuse of the plant may cause death through heart failure.
- Only use under strict practitioner supervision.