Parts Used: Bark and Berries
Alkaloids including nitidine, lauriflorine and coumarins. The berries contain volatile oil.
- Stimulant (especially circulatory)
- Alterative (alters the processes of the body to return it to its normal state)
- Diaphoretic (encourages sweating to break fevers)
Major Safety Issues:
- Avoid during pregnancy and in cases of acute inflammatin of the stomach.
- Should not be used in cases of internal bleeding or by people undergoing treatment with anticoagulant medicines.