Botanical Name: Serenoa repens
- Anabolic – a tonic and one of the few Western remedies to be considered so. Strengthens and builds body tissues and encourages weight gain. The fruit pulp or tincture is given to people suffering from wasting illnesses for general debility and failure to thrive.
- Hormonal disorders – even though it is generally considered a man’s herb, it’s oestrogenic action is a useful herbal remedy for women.
- Prescribed for impotence, reduced sex drive and testicular atrophy in men.
- Specific in men in cases of enlarged prostrate glands.
- Given to women to stimulate breast enlargement.
- Urinary remedy – nicknamed the “plant catheter”. Has the ability to strengthen the neck of the bladder and to reduce enlarged prostrate glands.
- Used chiefly to improve the flow of urine and is a urinary antiseptic for cystitis.
Major Safety Issues:
- 0.6 to 1.5 ml : x 3 times daily (1:1 liquid)