St Mary’s Thistle
Parts Used: Fruit/Seeds
Flavolignans (including silybin, silydianin, silychristin, collectively known as silymarin), flavonoids (including silymarine), bitter principles, amines (including tyramine and histamine) and poly acetylenes).
- Hepatoprotective (Liver protective)
- Digestive Tonic
- Galactagogue (promotes lactation)
Major Safety Issues:
- Should be avoided by people who are taking insulin or oral hypoglycaemics.
- Use in caution in individuals who are sensitive to members of the Asteraceae family.
- Should be avoided during pregnancy and used with caution during breastfeeding.