Parts Used: Young twigs, leafy twigs
Volatile Oil (1%), containing thijone (up to 60%), borneol and fenchone. Also flavonoid glycoside, mucilage, tannins and bitter principles.
- Expectorant (promotes the expulsion of phlegm from the chest)
- Stimulant to smooth muscles
- Diuretic (encourages the flow of urine and relieves fluid retention)
- Alterative (alters the body’s natural processes to bring it back to a state of balance)
- Emmmenagogue (promotes the flow of menstruation)
Major Safety Issues:
- Do not use during pregnancy due to its stimulant effect on smooth muscles of the uterus.
- Toxic when ingested in excessive doses.
- Can cause abortion by producing reflect uterine contractions.
- Regular use of the oil or concentrated thuja extracts can cause bleeding from the stomach, degeneration of the liver and renal damage.