Parts Used: Dried underground parts
Steroidal saponins including dioscin and trilling which yield diosgenin. Also phytosterols, alkaloids including dioscorine, tannins and starch.
- Cholagogue (promotes the flow of bile from the gall bladder)
- Diuretic (promotes the flow of urine)
Major Safety Issues:
- Long term use should be avoided.
- Steroidal saponins may exert a hormone-like action and have an adverse effect in reducing libido.
- Should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Should be avoided if suffering from kidney impairment.
- Overdose can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.