Parts Used: Dried leaves and flowering tops.
- Up to 1% marrubiin (a bitter principle), diterpene alcohols (eg. marribiol and murrebenol), small amounts of alkaloids, traces of volatile oil and a sesquiterpene, tannin, saponin, resin and mucilage.
- Expectorant (encourages the expulsion of phlegm from the chest)
- Bitter digestive
- Vulnerary (speeds the healing of wounds)
- Cholagolgue (promotes the flow of bile from the gall bladder)
- Diuretic (promotes the flow of urine)
- Emmenagogue (promotes the flow of menstruation)
Major Safety Issues:
- Regular use should be avoided in cases of low blood pressure.
- Caution needs to be exercised and no increase of dosages in pregnancy.